CGW Series is a series of workshops and events focused on one time period, so you have support for making an entire outfit, and somewhere to wear it! Approximately every other month, we will have a workshop or lecture, which will culminate in an event or two.
You may sign up to take each of the classes, depending on availability. Or you can just take a few. Tickets to each event will be sold individually. There are no “entire series” tickets.
Our first series, beginning in 2016, will focus on the Teens era. At the end of this series, students should have an entire outfit, suitable for wear to any of the following events: Titanic, Downton Abbey, Jazz age, or Late Edwardian.
Follow our Pinterest board for ideas and inspirations!Below is a rough outline of classes we have either scheduled or are considering in the Teens Series. Note that workshops and events will be changing as we confirm them. See the individual workshop/event pages for confirmed details.
- 1913 Corset (February, 2016)
- If you missed CGW’s corset class, The Old Petticoat Shop has an online class this May taught by Jennifer Rosbrugh!
- Teens combination underwear (May 14, 2016)
- 19th-century bodice techniques, unlimited lecture taught by Laura Rubin Friday 1-2:30pm at Costume College
- Designing for the Era: 1890s-teens, unlimited lecture taught by Laura and Heather McNaughton 1:30-3:30 Friday at Costume College
- Construction techniques of corsets 1860 – 1910, unlimited lecture taught by Luca Costigliolo at Costume College
- Fashions of the Great War period 1914-1918, unlimited lecture taught by Rise Reading 10-11:30 Friday at Costume College
- Look for two late-addition teens lectures at Costume College! Check back for updates.
- Teens slip – February 18, 2017
- Teens underbodice foundation workshop – we will create the fitted bodice that holds the structure for most dresses of the era.
- Fitting help/mockup workshop – bring a mockup of your day or evening wear to our workshop for fitting help
- Menswear of the Teens era
- Teens Daywear
- Teens Eveningwear
- Teens Hats & accessories
- Teens Outerwear
- Hair lecture or workshop
Check back for discounts! We are working with some fabulous reproduction and costuming resources for discounts for students of the CGW Teens series!
Events! When we have completed the series, we will hold at least two events in the time period: one in the evening and one during the day. Ideas that we are currently working on include a Titanic tea, a live action role playing game in a country house or ocean liner, and a picnic at an automobile event.
Top Right: Evening Gowns of Queen Maud of Norway (red-1910; blue-1913) designers unknown; Both gowns held at the National Museum of Decorative Arts and Design in Oslo; Published in Style & Splendour: The Wardrobe of Queen Maud of Norway; V&A Publications, 2005
Top Left: Still from a Carnival Films Production for ITV1, Downton Abbey, Season 1; Episode 5; Michelle Dockery, as Lady Mary pictured in a reproduction gown made for her. Susanna Buxton, designer.
Lower Left: 1905 Day Dress; designer: Frances; held at Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Lower Center: Corset Covers Right: 1900; Center: 1910; Left:1914; held at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art
Lower Right: 1910 Evening Gown; designer: Worth; held at Victoria & Albert Museum, London